Monday, December 17, 2012

Life of Pi: or immunity to deepness: or there is a spoon

I grew up in a "new age" environment, attending a Rudolph Steiner school in Cape Byron from 1989 until 1994, and not even a measles outbreak in the early 90s which more than halved our class size for a week was enough to shake the anti-vaccination attitude of my parents, peers and most importantly myself.

As a child I read Richard Bach and James Redfield, and graduated naturally to Neale Donald Walsch, which distilled in my adolescent self the sort of arrogance that lead to my parents praising me as wise and my early high-school teachers not knowing how to mark my book reports.

In year 8 I wrote a fairly thoroughly (but not well) researched anti-vaccination diatribe for my persuasive writing piece. I felt that I researched both anti-vaccination and pro-vaccination arguments. I no longer have a copy of the essay I wrote - I'm glad of that. I was thrilled that my teacher didn't quite know how to react. You might think that my overwhelming smugness would have prevented me from having any friends at all but apart from that essay and a few book reports on books I wasn't old enough to understand or appreciate (but I did anyway; both understand and appreciate) I didn't really let it out that much, and I'm sure that with a different upbringing my utter lack of confidence, anxiety and introversion would have made me equally as friendless.

We were something close to enlightened, I thought. Secure in our superiority at least. Lamenting the inability of the common people to really understand.

My youth warped messages that older people found inspiring into something all consuming. I was burned from the inside out. I was in awe of my own magnificence, and the magnificence of the universe. And inside my awe was the sort of soul crushing depression which lead to notebooks full of bad poetry lamenting the certainty of my own miserable existence (as contrasted with the uncertainty of absolutely anything else).

I was anti-vaccination until I found anti-anti-vaccination websites online. Until that time I hadn't even known that there was an anti-anti-vaccination movement and it wasn't the arguments against anti-vaccination that persuaded me so much as the very existence of them. I had thought that my philosophies of life were incompatible with almost everyone I knew because I was wiser or more enlightened.

There was a sort of epiphany to realise that other people might have discarded ideas like mine not because they weren't ready for them, but because maybe they were fucking bullshit.

In 1999 I saw The Matrix in the cinema. I liked the part where they ran out of plot and started shooting stuff but while my friends declared the movie "so deep"... I didn't really care about it. At all.

I was exposed early to pulp-pseudo-philosophy and, once I recovered, I'd become immune.

Which is all a very long way of explaining why I think I miss out (but don't miss) on something other people experience watching (or reading - I haven't read the book yet) Life of Pi. It was incredibly pretty - perhaps the most visually spectacular film I've ever seen. It was thoroughly enjoyable and brought me to tears more than once. But it didn't move me. I got it, I'm sure I'm not missing anything that people who find the story deep and spiritually moving see; nevertheless, I remain unmoved.

(It's also a long way of explaining that I'm apparently still pretty smug.)






5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this review and have thought about it a few times since I read it.



    Almost-unrelatedly, I saw a trailer for the film and found it quite visually annoying. I think I had better not go to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the book but I don't know if it's really something that can be translated visually without the special effects looking overdone (which they look to me on watching the trailer).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gist of my original comment that got eaten was that I'd read the book and quite enjoyed it but the trailer for the film doesn't look very good IMO because the special effects look a bit silly and would probably detract from the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I would have gone to see the movie if I didn't have free tickets because after watching the trailer I thought it looked (esp the visual aspect of it) really silly and over-the-top.

    But I think the trailer over-emphasised that and, for example, the scene where there is a whale which is in the trailer and looks really weird/ridiculous looks really different in the actual film. Whatever it is that looks overblown in the trailer either looks better placed on a bigger screen, or just seems less over-the-top in context. I thought that the visual effects of the movie were the best part of the movie: and not because they were over-the-top and you couldn't see anything else - but because I forgot I was watching a movie for a while, and I forgot that I was watching a 3D movie frequently - everything just looked like it was supposed to look, if that makes sense? The visual effects of the movie were so impressive that it wasn't until after the movie was over that I went "hang on, that was totally a cgi tiger, right? they didn't film a real tiger... woah" because watching the movie it's totally... a tiger.


    Anyway, I am not saying that you (or insomnius) are wrong about not wanting to see it because of the visual aspect or special effects - but those were reasons I wasn't very interested in seeing it before I got tickets that I didn't have to pay for and I am really glad I was wrong about that because I really enjoyed it!

    (if anything detracted from the story it was those darn Yann/Pi scenes, urgh. But they were my least favourite part of the book too so YMMV).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this review despite not having seen or read Life of Pi. I don't think of you as smug at all (but that doesn't mean it's not true). I think maybe smug is just part of having enough confidence to actually get by in the world, but it always reminds me of stories with English schoolchildren in it (where smug was always a bad thing). If smug is 'excessive pride in one's achievements' then what is the word for 'appropriate level of pride in one's achievements'?


    I also like your description of reasons why people might be anti-anti-vaccination.

    ReplyDelete