Friday, November 23, 2012

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I pretty much feel unqualified to review this book because I have, as they say on the tumblrs, "all the feels".

I generally cry reading books - even happy ones, but usually it's that slightly glamorous, dabbing eyes with a tissue crying. Two books in my life have made me do more than weep after they ended: to actually vocally cry out in emotional pain.

The first was Bilgewater by Jane Gardam which I read in (I think) year 10 for literature class. I read the whole thing in one evening and then suffered through half a semester of my classmates not appreciating the book like I did.

The second was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I know it's fashionable these days to hate on Harry Potter or to see the books as guilty pleasures, but I feel like I'm too old to feel bad about anything I like these days, so there.

I was two-thirds of the way through The Fault in Our Stars by John Green when my husband took my e-Reader from my hands in order to hold me and I sobbed into his shoulder but really I just wanted to get back to the book, which I then did.

Then when I looked the book up online it turns out that the author is one of those people I see GIFs of on tumblr waving his arms around and saying stuff, so there you go.

So this review hasn't really been about the book, I realise, let's just say that I really really liked it.

1 comment: