Thursday, November 15, 2012

Review: Gelato Messina

Unless you want ice-cream to be ruined forever, I don't suggest you visit Gelato Messina. No, let me rephrase that, You do want ice-cream to be ruined forever and you should visit Gelato Messina because it will be totally worth it.

Gelato Messina is the best ice-cream* I have ever eaten. Lured in by my friend Lap's Internet Research we headed up to Gelato Messina one Tuesday evening and life (at least the ice-cream eating portion of it) has not been the same since. My husband and I ate there three times in four days and four times in less than a week. We're limiting ourselves to once a week from now on. On our way we were told that Gelato Messina had been declared the best ice-cream in Sydney, we've told all our friends that it's the best ice-cream we've ever eaten and so far nobody has been disappointed.

I have to admit that even in four visits I haven't sampled many of their flavours; that's because the Whitehaven (caramelised white chocolate and sea salt) was so incredible that it caused pleasure-flashbacks for days and I'm not game to try a visit without it in case I'm disappointed. You might point out that I could find a flavour that is even better than Whitehaven but I am sort of afraid of that possibility because I'm not sure that I would survive.

I generally sort of see food as a vehicle for salt so it's not surprising that the salty flavour is my favourite. Your milage, and interest in salty sweets, may vary.


Every other flavour I've sampled or eaten has been absolutely phenomenal as well and the people I've been with who have not ordered whitehaven (ie: nearly all of them, apparently my desire for salty deserts is not widely shared) have still appeared almost paralytic with pleasure so basically you can't go wrong.

The apple pie and cheesecake flavours are particularly amazing. I can't even imagine an apple pie as delicious as the apple pie ice-cream, for example. So there's that.

Their sorbets are dairy free, so non-dairy eaters can be catered for. YAY!

DARLINGHURST STORE
Shop 1/241 Victoria St,
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Opening times
Sunday to Thursday: 12pm to 11pm
Friday and Saturday: 12pm to 11.30pm

THE CREATIVE DEPARTMENT
- Laboratorio and Patisserie243 Victoria St,
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Opening timesMonday to Saturday: 12pm to 10pm
Sunday: 12pm to 7pm



THE STAR STORE

Cafe Court, Level G,
80 Pyrmont Street,
Pyrmont NSW 2009
Opening times
Monday to Thursday: 11am to 11pm
Friday and Saturday: 11am to 11.30pm
Sunday: 11am-11pm



SURRY HILLS STORE

389 Crown St,
Surry Hills
NSW 2010
Opening times

Sunday to Thursday: 12pm to 10.30pm
Friday and Saturday: 12pm to 11.30pm



I'm kind of getting goosebumps right now and my mouth is watering... do you think it's too late to go out for ice-cream?



* Gelato is totally a type of ice-cream, I have no interest in being a nitpicker here because I am too overwhelmed by the memories of this delicious creamy icy goodness.

1 comment:

  1. Never too late to go out for ice cream. That pandan coconut sorbet was SO GOOD that twice in the last week I have not bothered to eat fancy vegan ice cream when I could have, because I knew how inferior it would be.

    ReplyDelete