Sunday, January 20, 2013

Stories in the future - The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

I'm not sure why it took me so long to discover The Lizzie Bennet Diaries but... oh my gosh.

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is an online modern retelling of Pride & Prejudice. Lizzie Bennet has a video blog... and then the characters have twitter and tumblr and... it's a thing that could only be done now. It's not just P&P set in the modern world, it is told in the modern world. The characters comment on the earlier videos after they watch them later. I am only beginning to see what's going on on twitter. The future, it is here.

I never thought that a modern adaption of Pride and Prejudice could be this faithful to the book. It's really amazing. The characters are all really well done and the changes made to fit the story into the modern world are all really great as well.

But mostly everything about this adaption screams out that the creators really REALLY REALLY LOVE the novel. There are so many in-jokes and throwaway lines and references and yes.

I know this is kind of weird and incoherent but I am so happy and excited that I found this thing and yay. It's super.

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries website has links to all the other stuff. Or just start with Lizzie's vlog.

No comments:

Post a Comment