Thursday, January 17, 2013

You can get (get) anything that you want

When I was in high school a bunch of my friends were obsessed with The Backstreet Boys, the boyband of my high school days. They each had a favourite Boy and I think, in fact, there may have been five of them so they all had their own favourite? There wasn't general consensus on who was the Cutest anyway.

I was too poor to afford to buy CDs (let alone any other branded swag), but I pretended I was too cool to like the band, I think.

I've always found it difficult to love something half-heartedly. It's either nothing or a kind of all consuming passion. And I couldn't afford to buy CDs and was too proud to just ask for a copy on tape or something.

I lied and pretended not to care about things I couldn't afford to buy because I didn't want people to know how things really were.

In later, post-napster, days I fell in love with the Barenaked Ladies and I think it took me six months or so to buy Stunt, and it's funny I can't remember if I suffered much at home from that instance of spending money on myself (which generally resulted in a screaming match all about how wasteful and irresponsible I was).

Sometimes I lie and pretend I couldn't afford to buy things I cared about because I don't want people to know how things really were.

Anyway, I never had a favourite Backstreet Boy.  Not even a secret favourite that I didn't tell anyone about. I feel like I missed out on something, and I'm sad about it because I don't even know if it was important.

SO. I love this video, and Liam is my favourite member of One Direction.

4 comments:

  1. This post made me sad and then made me happy. Liam is a good choice, but my personal favourite is Harry, although I think the objective fact is that the best one is Zayn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are all the best, but I have a special place in my heart for people with buzz-cuts #hairwars

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After several minutes of dedicated research I have concluded that Louis is my favourite. Something about liking girls who eat carrots, which seems a fair response to a silly question.

    My boy band of choice in primary school was East 17. It wasn't a great one for picking favourites, and at that point my friends thought I was weird for caring about music at all.

    ReplyDelete