Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Review: Myer's Bridal/Gift Registry

So I totally got married in September and it was awesome. In the lead up to the wedding my Husband and I decided to set up a Gift Registry with Myer because it seemed like the easiest way to avoid having 100 people ask us what they should give us as a present.

Stuff I liked:

It was super fun to set up! They gave us these little scanner things and we ran around the store scanning things and whatever we scanned went on the list. It was ace! We could have gone back and added more stuff later but we didn't actually spend a lot of time together in the 12 months before the wedding so we never bothered.

Myer delivered all the presents to us at our new Sydney address after the wedding! Given that we moved interstate it was super handy to have all the gifts delivered to the new address rather than having to move them up with us after the honeymoon.

Stuff I didn't like:

They charged each of our guests (well apparently some but not others) $12 each for delivery. Which seemed a bit steep IMO and apparently I just didn't read that in the fine print when I set it up. Of course some people decided not to pay the delivery fee and they took the present and wrapped it and brought it to the reception: which meant that we had to pack a bunch of gifts up and get the removalist to bring them up to our new house which was kind of annoying.

They allowed multiple guests to purchase the same gift. So I kind of thought that was the WHOLE POINT of having a registry but yeah we ended up with duplicates. It wasn't the worst thing ever because we just exchanged them and bought 3 huge boxes of Lego. Yessssss
But it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth because HELLO THAT IS WHY WE HAD A REGISTRY. Ugh.

So when the guests bought the stuff they wrote down a message for us to go on the card... but we didn't get any of those messages: we just got a generic congratulations from X (and Y) on the card. ALSO they misspelled a bunch of people's names. It just made me feel like the registry was an excellent idea but that Myer was just really rubbish at it which surprised me because I would have thought they'd have got the hang of it by now?

No comments:

Post a Comment